Apple announced its next operating-system, beta 16 ios, at its WWDC 2022 keynote on Monday. And if you would like, you can download it on your iPhone immediately — but you need to know it’s presently a developer beta, only accessible to people from the Apple Developer Program.
One of the new beta 16 ios features announced to date is a redesigned lock screen for that iPhone, the opportunity to unsend or edit texts and enhancements to Apple Maps. Even though the upgrade is not slated for general release until September, we can take you step-by-step through how you can get hold of iOS 16 at this time before the public beta. Although the correct answer is simple to install iOS 16, remember that this prerelease is not meant for general use, mainly because, like several developer beta releases, iOS 16 may presently have incomplete features. These beta releases are meant for developers to assist them in keeping maintain their apps current whilst supplying early use of additional features being produced.
This is all to explain that you most likely should not install this in your primary device in case you want to look at this form of iOS 16, but possibly an extra iPhone that’s new enough to utilize iOS 16 (the iPhone 8 or later). Should you wish to take these steps, we’ll also demonstrate within this story what you ought to do in a situation you have to revert to a reliable form of iOS 15. If you wish to learn more about iOS 16, browse the iOS 16 reveal during WWDC, how iOS 16 is getting a big makeover towards the iPhone lock screen and Apple Maps’ change which will debut in iOS 16.
Before you download iOS 16, here’s what you should know
Because iOS 16 beta is an early prerelease version, the program will be filled with bugs and other issues. Again, if you are considering installing iOS 16, get it done on the backup or secondary phone, if available. The iOS 16 beta preview’s issues could cripple your phone, making it hard to make use of, disabling telephone calls or texts or making it very laggy. However, should you have only your primary phone or tablet available, make sure to assist your device on iOS 15 before updating to iOS 16. This way, you can go back to iOS 15 should there be a lot of issues around the new OS.
Also, you’ll want an apple iphone 8 or later to operate iOS 16. The following mobile software update won’t be put on the iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, ? or iPhone? 6S Plus, ?iPhone? 7 or ?iPhone? 7 Plus.
If you haven’t already, enroll in the Apple Developer Program
The initial step to obtaining iOS 16 on your iPhone or iPad is to join the Apple Developer Program and discover already an associate. If you are on your iPhone or iPad, here’s the best way to enrol:
- 1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
- 2. Launch the app, go to Account and tap Enroll Now.
- 3. Sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
- 4. Read through the various benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to verify your identity.
- 5. Once this information is submitted, you must choose your entity (individual for most people) and agree to the program license agreement.
- 6. Finally, pay the Apple Developer membership fee (with Apple Pay), which is $99 (about £80 or AU$140) a year.
Once you effectively result in the payment, you will be redirected to your requirements page within the Apple Developer application. Here you can verify that you are now enrolled, and you may also browse the date of the membership’s expiration in the coming year.
Download iOS 16 with an over-the-air update on your iPhone or iPad
The simplest way to download iOS 16 is by over-the-air update, how you would update holiday to a new software release on your device. Here is how:
- 1. On your iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, tap Install Profile for iOS 16 beta (iPhone) or iPadOS 16 beta (iPad) and hit
- 2. Next, open the Settings app, tap on Profile Downloaded and hit Install on the top right when it appears. Enter your passcode if prompted and then tap Install two more times. Your phone will need to restart.
- 3. Once your phone boots back up, connect it to power, make sure you’re on Wi-Fi and go to Settings > General > Software Update. If you don’t instantly see an update available, wait a few minutes and check again.
- 4. Finally, hit Download and Install > Install and enter your passcode to update your device.
After your phone finishes rebooting, you need to have the latest iOS 16 developer beta.
You can also download iOS 16 using your Mac
Over-the-air updates require some storage, and without having that available, using your computer is the only method to update to iOS 16 without hand-cleaning space.
- 1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, find iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta and click Download Restore Images.